Welcome to the first episode of the First Among Nations podcast. It will be launching on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and all major podcast players (date TBD), but here is a preview so you can get a sense of what’s to come.
First of all, each episode corresponds to a chapter in my new book, First Among Nations.
I intend for this podcast to function as a virtual book club. It’s our chance to connect and discuss the themes of the book and the beautiful land of Israel where it takes place. The format is as follows:
- Each episode, Part 1: Each week, I’ll read a chapter from the book and then pose some questions about the chapter. Please be sure to submit your answers via one of the options below.
- Each episode, Part 2: I will read some of your answers “on the air” (or play your voice notes). Important: Please let me know if you want me to use your name or if you want to remain anonymous – use your location or not, etc. Whatever you prefer – it’s all good.
In today’s episode, I describe the cover and read the prologue. Enjoy and please join in the discussion with our community.
Questions from the episode:
- Tell me your thoughts about the cover. How does it reflect the themes of the book? Notice that there’s no soccer ball anywhere on the cover. Why do you think the author did not include a soccer ball? Was that intentional? What other themes could the author have chosen to depict on the cover?
- What is the significance of the title, First Among Nations? Can you identify its source? Hint: It’s biblical. What is the context of the title in the Bible and how did the author choose to repurpose its meaning?
- Tell me your thoughts about the subtitle: A Novel about Struggle and Perseverance in the Holy Land. Who is struggling and persevering in the book? What is the Holy Land and how is it the same or different from other names, such as Israel or Palestine?
- What is the purpose of a prologue in general? Specifically in this book, what did the author try to accomplish with this prologue? What themes does the author raise in the prologue?
Methods for submitting your answers:
- Comments section (below)
- Email or my website’s contact form
- Voice note [coming soon]
Other helpful links:
- Book: iramosen.com/book
- Podcast: iramosen.com/podcast
- Subscribe: iramosen.com/subscribe
Leave a Reply